Monday 3 January 2011

Your Highness

As a long time fan of fantasy fiction, and simultaneously a critic of much the genre has to offer (see previous post), I often find myself in an awkward position. I claim to love something, and yet not only concede that most of it is terrible, but indeed make a point of criticising it myself. The troubles I have with the fantasy genre are many and varied, and a subject for another day; however, because of my situation, I tend to find myself latching onto and ferociously humping the leg of any example of the genre that looks promising. Accordingly, I present the trailer for Your Highness, a film I only heard about recently but which has become one of my most anticipated films of 2011.


It looks a bit like a stoner, more sweary version of The Princess Bride, the best fantasy movie not to star Luke Skywalker or Frodo Baggins. Sure, the humour is crude and silly, but there's a big difference between silly and stupid, and crude humour is fine by me so long as it's funny. And this looks very funny. It looks to be a smart, affectionate parody of typical fantasy tropes as well as a stoner buddy movie, and I think it looks a lot of fun. It won't be winning any awards, but sometimes all you want is a good time at the movies, and I suspect this will provide that.

For the red-band trailer, head over to Empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment